Behind the Art: Dropping My New Spider-Man: Brand New Day Illustration!

A colorful digital comic book illustration of Spider-Man web-swinging dynamically in front of a city skyline backdrop, created by me, Noelevz.


Behind the Canvas: Bringing My New "Spider-Man: Brand New Day" Illustration to Life!
With Marvel and Sony's Spider-Man: Brand New Day absolutely obliterating box office records right now, I couldn't resist jumping into the studio to create a fresh piece celebrating the web-slinger. If you follow my art journey over on my Instagram @noelevz, you already know how much drawing Peter Parker means to me.
For this project, I really wanted to strip away the overly dark, gritty textures of modern cinema and channel the bright, saturated, high-flying energy that made me fall in love with comic book art in the first place.
Here is a closer look at my design process, the layout mechanics, and a few hidden surprises I slipped into the background!

Composition & Crafting the Leap
When I sat down at my tablet, my absolute primary goal was capturing a sense of pure, unchecked forward momentum. I wanted the viewer to feel like they were hanging mid-air right alongside him.
To pull that off, I relied heavily on a few specific artistic choices:
  • Aggressive Foreshortening: By exaggerating the perspective of Spidey's outstretched leg and forward-firing web arm, it instantly creates a sense of depth, thrusting him out of the canvas.
  • Cell-Shaded Lighting: I used clean, definitive digital linework paired with high-contrast cell-shading blocks. This allows his classic red-and-blue suit to catch the bright, warm afternoon sunlight perfectly without getting lost in the backdrop.
  • The Urban Sprawl: I spent a ton of time building out the atmospheric depth of the city skyline behind him, using layered window reflections and soft color gradients to make New York look vast and alive.

🔍 Did You Catch the Hidden Rooftop Chase?
One of my favorite parts of creating independent fan art is getting to play storyteller inside the image. I didn't want this to just be a standard character portrait—I wanted it to tell a story.
If you look past the main foreground stretch and zoom in closely on the lower building rooftops in the mid-ground, you can see exactly who are trying to catch our hero!

Let's Keep Creating!
This piece was an absolute blast to illustrate. Thank you all so much for supporting my independent art path and letting me share my passion with you!




Comments